Thursday, March 8, 2012

Author, Author

...read all about it!!


Thanks for joining us and please welcome a fantastic author,


Ceri Hebert





Ceri it's great to have you hear with us today, can you tell us a little about yourself?
I was born in Minnesota but I've lived in New Hampshire for most of my life, with a few detours to Maine, New York, Florida, and briefly Iowa. Currently I live in a small town with my husband, 4 kids, 2 cats, and 1 dog. My mundane job is at a children's magazine publisher but when I get home I write and sell Scentsy. When I grow up I want to be a best selling author.

What or who initially inspired you to become a writer?
When I was about 12, my friends and I were sure one of the houses in our neighborhood was haunted. We thought the ghost took the form of a snowy wind that seemed to follow us around after we took a metal “thing” (known to us as Babbitt because that was what was written on it) from this empty house. We also thought we saw UFO's. I thought I could write about our adventures and get published. I was a goner from then on in.




What kind of research do you do for a novel and how extensive do you get?
I'm almost embarrassed to say I don't go overboard on research for my novels. I do what I need to but I really try to stick to what I know. Currently I'm writing a story that will involve a horse rescue farm so I've been researching that. The internet is a wonderful place to do my research, finding sites on horse rescue facilities around the country.


Do you have a special place you like to do your writing? Such as an office, a spare room, the dining room table, your couch?
I live in an apartment with 5 other people so space is kind of at a premium. I have my corner with a big, crowded desk but there's no real quiet. Seems like someone is always around. Not exactly what I had pictured when I started this wonderful path. I thought I'd have a little sunny room with a view of a garden. I really need to get myself an inspiring picture to hang on the wall in front of me.



As a reader, what types of works do you like to read and do you think it influences the genre/genres you write in?

I like all sorts of genres of romance. My one rule is that the story has to have some romance and it has to have a happily ever after. I love fantasy, which is what I would dearly love to write, and I love a good ghost story. But mainly I read contemporary, and that is mainly what I write. Author Barbara Delinsky has been a huge influence because she writes really good contemporary romance set in New England.

What is your favorite method of writing...as in laptop, desktop, Ipad or the old fashioned pencil and paper?? And do you plot out your story or go with the flow of your muse?
There's nothing like a pen and paper. I think the words seem to flow better when I'm handwriting them. I'm a definite “go with the flow” kind of writer, aka pantster. Sometimes I manage to write out a rough synopsis before I start, but mainly I just go. Of course when I'm not writing I have ideas flying around my brain-usually when I can't write them down.


When you need a break or some time off from the trials of being a writer, what can you be found doing?
Reading. Watching a favorite show or movie. In nice weather I love to get outside.

Is there anything about yourself nobody knows that you would like to share with our readers??
When I was in college I wanted to be an actress but one of my teachers thought I should pursue a career in puppetry. I would have gone for it if I had been able to work with The Muppets.

Where can our readers find you??
My website and blog can be found at www.cerihebert.com.


Is there an upcoming or current release you would like to share with us today and where can we find it?
Sure! My latest release is Yesterday's Tomorrow which is currently available at Still Moment's Publishing. Here's the blurb-

What would you do if life gave you another chance to go back and get it right?

No one needs a mental health day more than forty-four year old Lila Weidner, but when the overworked HR director wakes up in her twenty-three year old body, she's left wondering what is going on. Where is her life as a successful business woman? Where is her equally successful husband? And how is she going to maneuver through the day in order to stay on the same path she followed over twenty years earlier? Lila soon rediscovers old dreams and old friendships that she left behind and wonders if this is her chance for another shot at a truly fulfilling life. Does she dare to step off her original path and allow yesterday to become her new tomorrow?


Yesterday's Tomorrow available at Still Moments Publishing - http://www.stillmomentspublishing.com/p/ebook-store.html


(**I would just like to add that I have personally read this book and I absolutely LOVED it!  I know you will too.)

Before we let Ceri go, we asked her to answer a few fun questions about herself ::

Your Favorite 5
1) Favorite color - Forest Green
2) Favorite Dessert -Cheesecake with strawberries
3) Favorite Season -Fall. Particularly mid October when the temps are cool and the trees are bright
4) Favorite sad song - Go Rest High On That Mountain by Vince Gill
5) Favorite Romantic movie - now that's hard. I love Phantom of the Opera and PS I Love You (amongst others)


And a bonus, what is your ideal romantic vacation??

 A small cottage in the Welsh countryside with a housekeeper coming in to fix our meals. We can go out and explore the country and in the evening be alone with a fire and no television or phones.

Last but not least, we asked Ceri if she could share a recipe with us today :)  Enjoy!

Here's a recipe that's a favorite in my house. It's easy and tasty!


SHRIMP SCAMPI
Ingredients:
1 1/2 lb shelled and deveined raw shrimp
4 lg cloves garlic
1 cup butter
2T tomato paste
2T lemon juice
Crush garlic. In small sauce pan melt butter with garlic, tomato paste and lemon juice over low heat, stirring often.
Place shrimp in single layer in flat Pyrex type baking dish. Pour butter mix over shrimp so all are coated.
Broil on high 5 minutes or until shrimp are pink.
Serve over egg noodles, rice or couscous

I hope you all enjoyed today's Spotlight Author, Ceri Hebert, as much as I have.  Make sure you visit the Still Moments Publishing book store and get your copy of Yesterday's Tomorrow!



Thanks for stopping by and come back soon,

Krista :)






10 comments:

  1. Thanks for having me, Krista! I enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are more than welcome Ceri, it was great having you and I'm dying to try that Shrimp Scampi !

      Delete
  2. I like using pen and paper to write out scenes in my book too, Ceri!
    Good post. PS I love you, and Phantom of the Opera are two of my favorite movies. Gerard Butler is hawt!!!
    Neecy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gerard is one of my absolute favorites. He'll be a model of one of my heroes in an upcoming story. :)

      Delete
  3. Great interview ladies! Ceri, I love PS I LOVE YOU too...what a wonderful movie. Of course there are so many out there, but that one does really stick in my mind as a classic :)

    Your book's premise is fab...and of course that cover is breathtaking! Congrats on your success!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Christine!! I can watch PS I Love You over and over! Not only does it have Gerard, but it has Jeffrey Dean Morgan and his cute tush. :D Glad you stopped in!

      Delete
  4. Hi ladies,

    I'd never heard of P S I Love You the first time I saw it. Gerard about bowled me over!

    I actually got to work with a couple of the Muppeteers once, Ceri. OMG, hilariously funny, talented people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG You did!! That must have been incredible to meet them! I would have loved to work with them but I decided I didn't want to live in a city. Kind of hard to work in the entertainment industry if I refused to live either in NYC or LA. I'm just a country girl at heart. :)

      Delete
  5. How fun to learn some new things about you. Working with the Muppets would definitely be incredible. I get the sense from your movie choices that you're a Gerard Butler fan. LOL Best of luck with your book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I adored the Muppets. I did a lot with puppets in college. I got to work with author/illustrator Tomie Depaola when we did a Christmas play using three foot tall puppets. It was so much fun!

      And yes, I'm a huge Gerard fan. He's very yummy. Can't beat that accent. I would highly recommend the movie Dear Frankie to any Gerard Butler fan. It was awesome!

      Delete