Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Author, author...

... read all about it !!!

 
 

Yay !!  We have D.T. Dyllin here to share a little about herself!!
 
 


Welcome D.T., so great to have you here with us.  Can you tell us a little about yourself?

Ummm…yeah…sure, I guess. LOL I hate talking about myself, actually. I’d rather just talk about characters, or books but I’ll give you the generic stuff. I was born and raised in Pittsburgh, PA, and I now live in Nashville, TN, with my Hubby and two very spoiled GSDs. Oh whoops, I think you can read that in my bio, so I’ll give you something extra. My two fur-babies are named Loki and Kira. Loki is two years old and he definitely lives up to his name as a goofy trickster. Kira is one and is my little hellhound. I think that’s pretty self-explanatory. She’s fiercely over-protective of me, and it’s actually something we’ve been trying to work on with her. When I was sick recently she tried to guard me from Loki and my Hubby. She just didn’t understand that they were on my accepted visitor list. Lol But I’ll stop now, as you can probably tell, I could go on for a very long time about my dogs, possibly forever.

 

Do real life events find their way into your stories?

Real life events definitely inspire similar events in my stories. I will say that sometimes some of the ‘darker’ or ‘disturbing’ scenes are a way for me to work out some of my own personal demons. I’ve had some things happen to me in my past that I didn’t have some hottie swoop in and save me from. Real life doesn’t work that way, but in my fantasy world whatever I want to happen does. The events are very loosely based, more of a symbolic inspiration, if you will. It’s surprisingly cathartic to write the darker stuff and to kind of release it. And by writing it set in a paranormal landscape it keeps things from going too dark and twisty though. Eventually, I want to work on some contemporary stuff but I’m sort of afraid I might scare people. As it is people think my stuff is drama filled and angsty. I want to laugh and say… “You ain’t seen nothin’ yet.” *winks
 

Do you ever mimic family members or people you know when you choose characters?

Yes, I steal bits and pieces from people that I both love and hate that I know in real life. I want my characters to be as realistic as possible.
 

Do you find yourself going back to the same inspiration for each story or is it always something different?

It’s always something different. I would get bored otherwise.
 

When do you write?  Early morning? During the day sometime or all day?  After the kids go to bed?

I mostly write at night. I’m a night owl, and I don’t have the mental capacity to be creative during the day.
 

How do you feel about marketing your book?

Honestly, I hate it. I don’t like to talk about my books. It feels weird sometimes. I mean, I do…to a point, but I’m always worried I’m going to come off as one of ‘those’ authors. I think you all know what I mean…”Hey you! Buy my book! Why haven’t you purchased my book yet?” There’s a fine line between marketing/promotion and being an ass. But how do you know when you’ve crossed that line? No one’s going to tell you to your face. So I’d rather just not do it at all, which apparently isn’t an option. *sad face
 

What social sites do you feel work best for marketing?

*shrugs I try to keep only the bare minimum of social media sites for myself. I have my blog/website, Facebook, Twitter, and I’m on Goodreads. Until last year I didn’t even have any of those. It can all be overwhelming to someone like me. That’s why I neglect some of my sites…well most of the time. They all take away from what I really want to be doing…writing.
 

Do you like to pitch stories to your publisher or do you wait until you have written the story and have a final manuscript to turn in?

I always wait until I have a full manuscript before doing anything with any of my stories. Who needs the extra pressure of trying to get something else done on a deadline? I have enough time constraints as it is.
 

Is there any other genre that you would love to try writing?  If so, what is it?

Like I mentioned above, I want to do something contemporary. But everything I write is always going to be in the romance genre. I’m just a romance junkie and I would get bored if I had to write anything without it.
 

Do you always/ever see yourself as the heroine/hero when you write a story?

Only as far as I try to get inside their head as I’m writing, like an actress doing a part, but not more than that.
 

 

Just for fun, I have a few personal questions, 

Favorite 5

1)      Favorite Male Actor  - Hands down, Johnny Depp. It’s not just because he’s hot, because honestly I think there are a lot of other actors that are a lot hotter. It’s his personality that seems to shine through. Maybe he’s not who he seems to be, but I’m extremely attracted to the guy that he portrays to the public. He seems quirky, smart and yet a little dark and broody. He also seems to have a slightly ‘off’ sense of humor. I love that. Not to mention how passionate he is about his work. My Hubby knows that if Johnny ever noticed that I was alive and that he might have some competition. Buahahaha!

2)      Favorite vehicle – Anything that goes fast. I have a need for speed. I once got a speeding ticket on the way to traffic school. ‘Nuff said.

3)      Favorite way to relax – Reading.

4)      Favorite ice cream – Haagen dazs chocolate chocolate chip. No competition.

5)      Favorite outfit – Jeans, black t-shirt, black boots.

And for a bonus:  If you could pick any place in the world to live, besides where you are now, where would it be?  (Of course, without the hindrance of jobs or money needed)
 On a remote island somewhere.

 
 

Where can our readers find you?? 

Twitter: @DTDyllin https://twitter.com/DTDyllin
Website/blog: dtdyllin.com http://dtdyllin.com/
 

 

Is there an upcoming or current release you would like to share with us today and where can we find it?

Hidden Gates

Book one of the P.J. Stone Gates Trilogy
 
For P.J. Stone, being a “Seer” who has never seen anything is less than fun. And P.J. isn’t known for her patience.

To make matters worse, she must choose a suitable mate to continue the Seer bloodline. Duty always comes before her heart…at least that’s what her parents taught her. When she finds herself wanting someone who is considered off-limits, P.J. is forced to question everything she believes.

 

As if navigating her love life isn’t complicated enough, P.J. finally receives a vision—of a threat to her world that only she can perceive. But no one will believe a fledgling Seer’s warnings. With nowhere else to turn, she may decide to trust a stranger with her life, her world, and maybe even her heart.

 
Publisher:   Dragonfairy Press  http://dragonfairypress.com/

 

Excerpt:
 "No, we can't," he growled. "God knows how much I want to, how long I've thought about it. That's why Tammie and I broke up—because it wasn't right; I couldn't get you out of my head. It wouldn't have been right to be with her when I was thinking about you the whole time. But it doesn't change the fact that you're a Seer and I'm a Guardian. You're too good for me, out of my league."

I blinked at him in surprise, letting his words fully sink in. I was the reason he broke up with Tammie? He wanted me? Like really wanted me? "You can have me." And I meant it. I realized as I said the words that I always had—and always would be—his for the taking.

"Be careful, Peej." His voice was low and husky. "If you keep offering, I might just take it."

I stepped into him, resting my hand on his arm. "I wouldn't offer it if I wasn't willing to let you have it." His sea-storm eyes threatened to pull me under, to wash away any thoughts of anything but him.

 

Some reviews:

 

 


 
Thanks so much for being with us today D.T.  It was a pleasure hearing about book 1, Hidden Gates and we can't wait to hear what else you have in the works so make sure to stop by again soon !!

Readers, you know the drill......get out there and get your copy today !!!  

 
 
 
Until next time, happy reading !!
 
Krista :)
 
 
 

1 comment:

  1. I'm just dropping by to thank you for being a part of the tour! :D

    ReplyDelete