Saturday, June 30, 2012

Author, author...

...read all about it!!  

Today we have another great author with us.  Please help me welcome...

Amy Gregory 

 
Amy, so glad you could be here today. Can you tell us a little about yourself?


Well, I married my high school sweetheart and we have three busy kids that I drive from one sport to the next, cheering them on at meets, games and races.  We spend a fair amount of time camping at race tracks.  In the meantime, I love to read when I can and write as much as humanly possible.

What did you want to be when you were growing up or did you always want to be a writer?
I have always been a creative type of person, and I’ve always know something was missing.


When did you first start writing?
Actually, I hadn’t written anything since high school.  About a year ago I had a recurring dream that wouldn’t leave me alone.  I started to write it down and the rest is history!


What is a typical writing day like for you? 
Unlike most people, I have to have mostly silence when I write.  I tend to get up very early before the rest of my house wakes up!  I also carry a notebook with me at all times in case I’m away from my laptop and something comes to me such as a piece of dialogue or an idea for a scene.


Do you have an specific routine you follow or specific items you need with you when you write?
Well, I have to get a cup of coffee first!  I also get out my notebook I keep with details I’ve jotted down, such as character notes that I may need to refer to or any details that I’ve written down when away from my computer.  Then I just pick up where I left off the day before.


What is your favorite part of writing?  Is there anything you don’t like about being a writer?
I love creating a story that I want to read.  I love falling in love with my characters.  I love all parts of the actual writing, but who knew that was the easy part!  After the writing comes the hard part, the getting published and promoting your books.  But it’s all a part of the process and I wouldn’t trade this for any other job on the planet!


What is your favorite length of book to write?  (Short story, novella, full length novel) Why?
I prefer to write novel length books.  You can develop your characters more, get into their backstory, explain why they think the way they do or act a certain way.  Sometimes in shorter books, the reader has to assume some of that.  I also like that I don’t have to worry about how long or how detailed my scenes are because I’m having to worry about book length limits.  I just write.  The characters and their story are what determines the length.


How does your family feel about your writing and you being an author?
I think they’re pretty proud.  My husband is my biggest supporter.  The kids all argue on a regular basis about who the books are going to be dedicated to, but overall, I think it’s something unique.  Not everyone can say their mom is an author.


Is there a to-be-read waiting on your bedside table?


Only about 30 or so!  I love to read, but I’m sooo bad!  Once I start a book, I can’t put it down.  Then the kids are asking where dinner is!  But besides writing, reading is one of my favorite things to do.  I love to see how other authors use different techniques and pieces of dialogue.  You can see different regions of the world that way.  I have a different perspective when I read now, but I think I love it even more if that is possible!




For fun, I have a few personal questions, 


Favorite 5
1)  Favorite Holiday – Christmas!
2) Favorite Drink – toss up, coffee & Mr. Pibb
3) Favorite Author – oh wow, I have soooo many!  Mari Carr
4) Favorite Book – Do Over – Mari Carr
5) Favorite Animal – sea turtles


And for a bonus:  What is a typical mood for you?  And is your mood different when you’re writing?


I’m pretty happy and jovial most of the time.  Actually my scenes do effect my mood.  When I’m writing and it’s upsetting, I’ll be typing with tears in my eyes.  If it’s funny then I’m laughing my butt off right along with them.  And so on… lol




Where can our readers find you?? 


Is there an upcoming or current release you would like to share with us today and where can we find it?


Racing to Love is the series title. 
Carter’s Treasure is out now on Amazon and Barnes & Nobel.  
Book two is Jesse’s Soul, it will be out January 3, 2013. 
Eli’s Honor and Alex’s Destiny will follow in 2013.

Excerpt:
They continued to walk back toward the pits, but he stopped when they were in the darkened hallway, just before they would have rounded the corner and been seen.
Molly’s heart sped.

He was still holding her hand, but turned to face her as he placed his other hand on her waist. She sucked in a breath when he stepped forward. Her first instinct was to be anxious, to cower back, but something in those ice blue eyes told her she didn’t have to be afraid.
When he had leaned in to kiss her when they were sitting on the track, she’d panicked. And then when he had started to move away, she’d panicked again—for a different reason entirely.

Those flip-flopping emotions were about to drive her crazy.

Now, in the dimmed corridor, Molly closed her eyes to catch her breath and to search for a decision. He’d been rubbing his thumb on her waist, but his movements stopped when her eyes dropped closed. The soothing strokes didn’t continue until she finally reopened her eyes and dragged her attention up his chest and past his Adam’s apple. She continued up until she locked her gaze with his. When she offered him a hesitant smile, he began stroking her again with a warm smile on his lips.

Staring down at her, he let go of her hand and skimmed the back of his over her cheek. She felt her heart thundering, her pulse racing when she ran her hands up his chest, feeling each and every rippled muscle. She’d never purposely touched a man like this before. Sure, she’d felt Brody’s muscles when she’d smacked him for one reason or another. Or when trying to push him off of her after he’d wrestled her to the ground being an ornery brother and all. But this? This was foreign.

Her eyes were back on her own fingers, taking everything in. She stopped at his heart and could feel it pounding hard beneath the soft cotton t-shirt.

“Just so you know…” he started in his slow, sexy voice.

She could tell he was waiting for eye contact again before continuing. “Yeah?” she whispered.

“I’m going to fall in love with you.”

Sapphire Star Publishing:  www.sapphirestarpublishing.com
Barnes & Noble:  http://bit.ly/NnEJKW

Reviews:

www.forgetthehouseworkimreading.blogspot.com ... The characters are amazing.  I gave this book 5 Baskets!

www.onceuponaseries.blogspot.com ...  Carter's Treasure is a fantastic start to a new series - full of loveable characters, a sweet but oh-so-sexy romance and heart-stopping suspense.  I am glad to have found this new author and I can't wait to read the next book in the series, Jesse's Soul, which is due for release in january 2013 (although can I just say at this point that I REALLY don't want to have to wait that long :P)


 Before we let you go today is there a favorite recipe you'd like to share?  I like to cook and am always looking for new recipes to try and share but it's totally up to you.


I am a HUGE fan of Ree Drummond AKA The Pioneer Woman!!!  All of her recipes are amazing, but this simple one for biscuits is truly worth the ten minutes it takes to make them – yes only about ten minutes!!

4 cups all purpose flour
1 ½ tsp salt
2 ½ tsp baking soda
1 ½ tsp baking powder
1/3 cup shortening
1/3 cup cold butter
1 ¼ buttermilk

450 degree oven…..
In large bowl combine all dry ingredients.  Add shortening and cold butter pieces and with pastry blender cut in the shortening and butter until the mixture crumbles into coarse crumbs.
Pour in the buttermilk, and mix gently with fork until combined.  Dough will be sticky, not overly dry or crumbly.
Lightly flour clean surface and roll out dough – ½ - ¾ inch thick depending on how thick you like your biscuits.  Cut with a round cutter and bake on cookie sheet. 
11-14 minutes, watch until tops are golden brown. 
I promise this takes no time at all and they are so delicious!!! 


They sound delicous!  Amy thanks so much for sharing this recipe with us and everything about your writing career.  It was wondering having you here and please come back again soon.

Readers, make sure you get your own copy of Carter's Treasure.  This is sure to be a great series!

Until next time, Happy reading...
Krista








1 comment:

  1. Amy, you nailed it when you said you love to write something you'd want to read. I think as long as we writers focus on the reader, the rest will fall into place.

    Good interview!

    ReplyDelete