Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Tasty Tuesday & A Teaser ~ Christina Cole

Welcome to Tasty Tuesday & A Teaser
 
Every Tuesday we'll welcome an Author who will share a foodie type post
with a recipe or two and some book promo!
 
Today please help me welcome Christina Cole!

*   *   *   *  *   *  


Nothing Says Loving Like Something From the Oven

 

I have always loved cooking. When I was a little girl, I didn’t play “tea party”. Instead, I gathered up every cookbook I could lay hands on, picked out recipes, designed a centerpiece and table setting, and played “Let’s have a seven-course meal!”

Later in life, I set out to share my love of cooking by hosting “kitchen parties” for little girls. We made snickerdoodles, we made cranberry relish¸ we made -- a big mess! But, what fun we had! As a troop leader for the Girl Scouts, I made sure my girls had plenty of opportunities to learn cooking skills. Together, we baked bread, enjoyed progressive dinners, and even made sauerkraut for a craft fair -- receiving a lovely prize ribbon for the endeavor.

Cooking is part of my life, but for Kat Phillips in Not the Marrying Kind, being in the kitchen makes her feel a bit like “a silly goose among a flock of chickens.” The kitchen is definitely not her domain.

Oh, but her mother makes the most scrumptious apple pie you’ve ever tasted! Kat’s attempts at following her mother’s recipe may lead to unexpected consequences, but I’m sure you’ll love this tasty treat.

Note: Kat and her mother baked on a wood stove, but for modern cooks using modern appliances, I’ve updated the recipe to include oven temperature settings. You can use this recipe with your favorite double pie crust, or you can try a little trick I saw recently. Flatten a batch of canned cinnamon rolls to use for the bottom crust! I haven’t tried this personally, but it sounds like a yummy idea, especially for a cinnamon lover like me.

 Amanda’s Heavenly Apple Pie



6  to 8 apples, peeled, cored and sliced

1  cup granulated sugar

1  teaspoon ground cinnamon

1/4 teaspoon allspice

2  teaspoons all-purpose flour

2  9-inch pie crusts

4 teaspoons butter (approximate)

 

Slice apples into a bowl, then toss with the sugar, cinnamon,

allspice, and flour until apples are covered. Heap the apples in a pie shell.

Dot randomly with about 2 teaspoons butter pats over apples.

 

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Roll out second half of dough. Moisten edge of bottom crust. Cover apples with top layer of dough and cut slits in top to let out steam. Slice off edges of excess pastry with knife. Press top and bottom together with a fork. Dot randomly with about 2 teaspoons butter pats on outer crust. Sprinkle cinnamon on top crust.

 

Place pie pan on a cookie sheet and bake for 15 minutes. Turn oven down to 350 degrees and continue baking for 45 to 50 minutes until apples are tender. Remove and let cool. 

 

 

You can meet Kat Phillips and her mother, Amanda, in my latest historical romance,


Not the Marrying Kind

Available now from Secret Cravings Publishing

Also available from

Amazon

Barnes & Noble

All Romance Ebooks

Bookstrand

 

 

Blurb:


Kat Phillips is not the marrying kind. She can’t cook, keep house, or sew a stitch. When her father takes sick and decides to sell the Rocking P ranch, Kat must either follow his wishes and marry the lackluster minister in town or find a husband for herself.

Joshua Barron comes to the Colorado Territory to make a new start. Nothing means more to him than freedom. He arrives at the cabin where he’ll be staying with his reclusive, crazy-as-a-coot cousin, and realizes Cody desperately needs a wife. His thoughts go at once to the long-legged redhead he met in the foothills.

When Kat realizes the handsome stranger is looking for a wife,  she’s determined to prove she’s got all the skills required to please a man...even if she has to lie to do it. She has no idea that Joshua is involved in a few lies of his own.




EXCERPT FROM: Not the Marrying Kind by Christina Cole

 

“I need your help.” Kat grabbed her friend’s hands again. “I’ve got myself in a bit of a fix.”

Lucille nodded. “Of course, just tell me what you need.”

“I knew I could count on you.” Kat breathed out a sigh. “It’s Mr. Barron,” she continued, quickly shaking her head at the girl’s concerned expression. “He’s fine. There’s nothing wrong with him.” Absolutely nothing at all, she thought silently. “The problem is he’s asked me to fix him a bite to eat. I guess he and his cousin are awfully busy with some project or another. I’m not sure exactly what, but, well, two men living out there in that cabin,” she said with an offhand laugh, “probably don’t know much about cooking.”

“Neither do you,” replied Lucille, stepping back and giving Kat a curious look. “Why on earth would that man come to you for a decent meal?” She laughed aloud. “What a thought.”

“He doesn’t know that I can’t cook.”

 

 

 

About Christina:

 

Christina Cole fell in love with words at a very young age. She’ll always be grateful to her grandfather and his patience as he taught her the joys of reading. Throughout her childhood she loved telling tales. She begged and pleaded for her mother to type them, but soon -- with her grandfather’s guidance -- learned to type for herself on his old Underwood.

Things have changed now. Her grandfather is gone, and so is the old typewriter, but Christina’s love for story-telling has remained strong. She now does her typing on a computer in a cozy little writing room filled with books, treasures, and a much-cherished photograph of her grandfather.

She is married, lives in the midwest, loves history, hates winter, and is happily at work on her next historical romance, “Keeping Faith” -- Book 2 of “The Sunset Series”.

 

Twitter: @Kcchristinacole


Blog: Christina Cole Romance (christinacoleromance.com)

EMail: CCole@christinacoleromance.com

 

GIVEAWAY!

Christina will give away a PDF copy of “Not the Marrying Kind”.  To enter, leave a comment, please. Contest will run from Tuesday through Thursday. Winner will be chosen and notified on Friday, February 7th.

 

 






4 comments:

  1. Sorry I wasn't able to drop by earlier, Krista. The winter storm moving through our area knocked out our net access. Thanks for hosting me today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I`m certainly copying down that apple pie recipe! Sounds great. I looking forward to reading Not the Marrying Kind. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Vicki. Glad you dropped by. I love apple pie, but unfortunately it's not one of my husband's favorites. Of course, I love peach pie and blueberry pie, too. Those are on his favorites list. Still, when it comes to Americana and old-fashioned cooking, there's still nothing that beats apple pie as far as I'm concerned.

      Delete
  3. If I read that right, then we've got a serious misunderstand, and I don't mean someone's inability to cook. I mean which guy is looking for a bride. And 'crazy cousin' does not sound like husband material. Book sounds fabulous! I don't cook either, so I know the young woman's problem quite well.

    ReplyDelete