What is it about baseball All-Stars that makes them great lovers?
So what’s the scoop? Is there something about the selection process to choose Major League All-Stars that contributes to these men being better than good in bed? Are there aspects of the performance edge, of the pursuit of athletic excellence, that develop traits and qualities that make baseball All-Stars awesome lovers?
As the old swing song goes, “It ain’t what you do, it’s the way that you do it.” And when it comes to love, it is a bit about what All-Star heroes (fictional and real) do, but it’s definitely about the way that they do it.
The performance level achieved by All-Stars requires discipline and practice, it’s true. But to get to the majors in the first place, the boys that become the men in the majors have to have certain qualities, and it’s those same qualities that are at the heart of the sensual game of love. So what are those elements and qualities?
1. Great body awareness. All-Stars carry an awareness of not only their own bodies, but a mindfulness of those around them. Top MLB All-Stars have exquisite spatial orientation; they have a tuned-up awareness and a consciousness of the field. These men know where others are, yet not just by being in tune with the physical; the best of them have learned to feel beyond vision and sound.
2. Exquisite Attention. Players at the All-Star level know how to focus. The same extreme focus that they turn to seeing the seams on a fastball can be turned to the women they wish to please. They’ve been practicing focus most of their lives. Need I say more?
3. A Love of Feedback. The best of these amazing men love feedback; in fact, they crave it. A player needs to accurately scrutinize the body language of his opponents and teammates in order to gauge how they’ll respond to the next play. They know that sensitivity to feedback allows them to excel and to hone their game. Refinement toward perfection is a lifelong practice and discipline. A woman’s sensual response is fuel to such a man. It’s a win-win feedback loop.
4. An Appetite for the Intense. All-Stars by nature seek out the climax, the exhilarating moment when energy peaks. That’s when great achievements are reached and when players transcend their former level of play. In those moments, all is risked. All is on the line. And the reward is exceptional. Ask any All-Star and he’ll tell you that in a team sport it’s the energy of an excellent opponent, the pressing up against the drive of another, which takes him to a new level. The energy of a skilled and involved opponent pushes an All-Star to the heights. It drives outstanding performance. The best encourage one another to greatness. And the results can be explosive.
5. Baseball is a Game out of Time. There’s no clock. You play the game until it’s over. That’s a lot like love and a whole lot like good loving. (I’ll say more about baseball and time in future blogs. In the meantime you can check out All-Star Alex Tavonesi, the hero in Love Bats Last, the first book in my Heart of the Game series that debuts on February 4th and tell me what you think).
6. Baseball is a Game of the Heart. Sure, the sheer strength and agility of baseball All-Stars is a plus, but it’s the subtle aspects of the mind-body connection that bring it all together, that make All-Stars truly special. And beneath the excellence—under the focus and drive and sheer physicality—it’s the heart of the man that makes the difference when it comes to love and loving. These men know what it means to follow their hearts and strive for their dreams. They know how to go the distance. I leave the rest to your very fine imaginations!
And a big P.S.: Being in love can make athletes perform better! Research reported on WebMD.com has linked being in love with an athlete’s on-field performance, showing that love can improve that performance. That makes sense: when you’re in love, you’re happy, life looks better, your mood is better and you even have more energy. Why wouldn’t all of these positives make a guy a better athlete?
And a plus for the reformed rakes in my books who go on to excel: The findings also showed that there was more to win than happiness. Athletes who were in committed relationships seemed to have overall better performances than those who were not.
So why wouldn’t a ballplayer look for love? Why wouldn’t a woman look for love in an All-star? All-Stars make great lovers and deserve great lovin’.
* * * * * *
Love Bats Last
When love’s in the game you can’t play it safe...
In LOVE BATS LAST, author Pamela Aares introduces you to the Heart of the Game series. Get ready for All-Star alpha males and the strong women they come to love!
A stormy night changes their lives forever...
The baseball diamond isn’t the only field for all-star player Alex Tavonesi; he also runs his family’s prestigious vineyard. What he can't seem to run is his love life. He’s closing in on the perfect vintage and the perfect game, but so far the perfect woman has eluded him.
Veterinarian Jackie Brandon is eluding her aristocratic past and memories of a soccer star who jilted her just before their wedding. She devotes herself to a marine mammal rescue center on the northern California coast, where hundreds of seals and sea lions are washing up dead.
A chance meeting in a midnight storm brings Alex and Jackie together to rescue a stranded whale. Watching her work, he realizes she's the passionate, courageous woman he thought he'd never find--he just has to overcome her deep distrust of jocks. Jackie's passion and courage lead her to discover what's killing the sea mammals. The culprits want to silence her, and Alex is the only one standing in their way. What will he sacrifice to save the woman he loves?
Quotes and Praise
“Pamela Aares deftly weaves together the desires and strategies of world-class sports with the equally charged realm of the heart to create fast-moving tales you’ll wish would never end.”
—Mary Beath, award-winning author of Refuge of Whirling Light on the contemporary series the Heart of the Game.
“A new star in the romance world!” —E. Alexander, New York Times best-selling author
About the Author
Pamela is an author of contemporary and historical romance novels. Her first book, Jane was released in 2012. Midnight Becomes You, (Angels Come to Earth, #2) will release in 2014, along with three more books in the Heart of the Game series, all releasing in 2014.
Before becoming a romance author, Pamela Aares produced and wrote award-winning films and radio shows including Your Water, Your Life featuring actress Susan Sarandon and the NPR series New Voices. After producing The Powers of the Universe and The Earth’s Imagination, she knew without a doubt that romance lives at the heart of the universe and powers the greatest stories of all.
Pamela holds a Master’s Degree from Harvard and lives in the wine country of California with her husband and two curious cats. Her love of nature led to adventures scuba diving the coral reefs of Fiji, exploring the cliffs of Greece, sea kayaking the Rosario Straits and white water rafting the wild and scenic rivers of the west—and romance!
Web site: http://www.PamelaAares.com
Barnes & Noble: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/c/pamela-aares