Saturday, February 22, 2014

Author, author... Glory Days by DeZre Storm

... read all about it !!





Welcome, so great to have you here with us.  Can you tell us a little about yourself?

Hi everyone, DeZré Storm here. I write for D Storm Novels, a one stop destination to find all my public works under one house. I’ve been a storyteller for well over a decade and began seriously studying the art of writing about four years ago. I write cross genre fiction with steaming sensuality. I enjoy small gatherings of close friends with a bit of wine or rum. My favorite meal of the day is breakfast, brunch and brinner. *grin* Oh yeah, an occasional bison burger, too.
 
 

Do real life events find their way into your stories?

Absolutely. There isn’t a way to make a story real without giving the reader something to relate to. For example, Forged Through Glory takes place in a future where mankind has modified our DNA and now traverse the stars as various breeds. However, as a species we still face the need for energy, food, medicine and intelligence. All these things can be seen around us in current events involving the price of gas, the ethics on genetically engineered foods (that can certainly cure hunger and malnutrition around the globe), to the availability of public healthcare and education. In the world I create, science is left alone to focus on the advancement and well being of mankind as a whole. The issue of allowing science to cure the ailments of mankind is even a current hot topic often burdened with religion and politics which seek to further their agendas and not mankind. All of these aspects of the Glory Dog world reflect in our own to draw the reader deeper into a fantasy existence.
 
 
 

Do you ever mimic family members or people you know when you choose characters?

No way. All my characters are make-believe. Period.




Do you find yourself going back to the same inspiration for each story or is it always something different?

I’m a cross-genre and multi-genre writer. My inspiration is as varied as the stories I tell. Themes play a bigger part in my inspiration in the Sci-Fi genre than anything else. I believe my contemporary fiction will always have a spark of what multicultural couples go through in today’s society, but that only serves for realism in the beginning of the relationship and isn’t exactly for inspiration purposes.

 
 
 
When do you write?  Early morning? During the day sometime or all day?  After the kids go to bed?

No hard and fast rules for me. In the writing world, there’s an awful lot of advice to have your own office and scheduled times, but life doesn’t run that way for everyone. Writing is a very sedentary lifestyle, so early mornings are reserved for my workout routine. Afterwards the day is filled with work, homework, activities, dinner; cleaning…you know how that goes. I nab time here and there, never really being unplugged from the laptop until my head hits the pillow. Sometimes I’ve got the laptop next to my head while my text to speech software is running. What can I say? You have to love what you do.

 
 
 
How do you feel about marketing your book?

Marketing is still new to me. Forged Through Glory of the Glory Dogs Series is my first public title, so I’m green to going live with publication. I really don’t have a solid opinion on the topic because I love writing more than anything, but marketing is necessary from a business perspective. I don’t love the marketing, but I don’t hate it. I’d say the only reason why I don’t love it now is because I’m still learning it and that takes away from my writing time. However, if I want writing to pay the bills some day, I must market. I think I’ll like it as time goes along and I learn what works best for me.

 
 
 
What social sites do you feel work best for marketing?

Hm, let’s see. I like Twitter because it’s super fast, short and sweet, but it doesn’t give a lot of room to learn about your audience. Facebook gives an opportunity to really get to know people and have conversations with them, see their posts and learn what they’re into, but it strips away precious writing time. Good reads is nice and blogging is fun. Blogging feeds the inner writer. I think overall it probably is the most comfortable form of marketing not only for me, but other writers. It can be scary because it’s very personal work and most writers are introverted. I’m no different.

 
 
 
Do you like to pitch stories to your publisher or do you wait until you have written the story and have a final manuscript to turn in?

I’m a final manuscript person. I don’t like pitches because my story and characters have been known to dance around on the page doing whatever they want without my permission. I find working this way fun and much more heartfelt than trying to fit my characters and story into an expectation. I do have rules to writing in order to open and close a story without going on forever, but for the most part, my characters determine the outcome. My outlines are loose and changeable. I think if I pitch a story, that’s the story I should turn in. I’d feel really crappy if I pitch something and can’t deliver it because I got stuck in writing the story over some detail in the outline that just isn’t working out.

 
 
 
Is there any other genre that you would love to try writing?  If so, what is it?

I started out with Romantic Suspense, but I suck at it. I think since the first novel I wrote was a romantic horror I wanted to stick with serial killers and bad men. I still have that work in progress that’s marinating under the bed because I thought that’s where my talent was. I write in the contemporary and erotic romance genres under different pen names already and leave Sci-Fi and paranormal to the DeZré brand. I’ve written in Sci-Fi and paranormal since my early years and recently crossed into the erotic genres just because my intimacy scenes are wonderfully graphic. These just come more naturally to me. I’d still like to pound out a Romantic Suspense or strengthen the one that’s sitting around.

 
 
 
Do you always/ever see yourself as the heroine/hero when you write a story?

My characters tend to come to me and not from me. I don’t see myself as any of my heroines or heroes. Through the character interview process I learn about them. It’s the emotions they inspire within me with their personal stories that add the bit of zing to my storytelling. Above all, I write fiction and fantasy spawns that. What makes the character real is the emotion and life they’ve experienced in their world. I see it that way, even when I’m working in the contemporary genre under my other pen name with characters that are more real to us because they live in our time.

 

Just for fun, I have a few personal questions, 

Favorite 5

1)     Favorite Male Actor  -

Mark Wahlberg…uh, so hot. He’s number one of my top 5. I had a poster of him when he was with The New Kids, all buff in his undies. Oh…so yummy. I like how he’s not a pretty boy and has that hard edge look to him. It’s not all about the body. I love his diversity of skill from movies like Four Brothers to Ted, and now Transformers. OMG. Gotta see that one. But, the awesome bod certainly helps. Come to think of it, my top 5 guys all have hot buff bods.

2)     Favorite vehicle –

’73 Chevy Nova SS with the fat tires and racing stripes. Wanna see me melt? Just roll up in that. I love the sound of a muscle car. It screams, “I’m gonna eat you.” Chrome is the greatest, from bumpers to bikes. Hands down.

3)     Favorite way to relax –

Relax? Um, I don’t do that very much. Husband, kids, job, dog, writing; you know the drill. I think the writing is my relaxation time, but the hubby says it doesn’t count because it’s work. Work I love and enjoy. I try to argue my point that it takes place in a quiet room…mostly. He won’t let me get away with that. I guess the only time I relax is when I take the kids to taekwondo or the pool without my laptop, kindle or phone. That’s rare.

4)     Favorite ice cream –

Butter Pecan. Mm. I can taste it now. I don’t care what brand or if there’s fifty thousand other flavors available. Butter pecan is it for me. If it’s not available, I go for cherry vanilla or plain vanilla. No toppings. I want the full flavor without interference.

5)     Favorite outfit –

I love gothic style but hate that everything’s black, grey or red. Whatever happened to pink, blue, gold and green? Just ‘cause it’s gothic doesn’t mean it should be drab. When not having to represent for the family or job I go for a corset, gothic style blazer or coat, black pants and cute chunky heels or boots. If it’s a kid function, I’ll stick with big hair, cowgirl hat, T-shirt, jeans and boots. Just like my stories take place all over the universe, my style is the same. I think that might come from only shopping the clearance rack. *grin*

 

And for a bonus:  If you could pick any place in the world to live, besides where you are now, where would it be?  (Of course, without the hindrance of jobs or money needed)

I would live in a cave by the sea outfitted with a hot tub and fresh water pond where the temperature is never below seventy or above ninety degrees Fahrenheit. My place would have complete internet access, breakfast/burger delivery by boat for those days I couldn’t catch any fish, crab or muscles to chomp. What? We all know I write fiction, right? *shrug* Why wouldn’t my perfect place be the same?

 
 
 
Where can our readers find you?? 

Twitter: @dezrestorm

 
 

Is there an upcoming or current release you would like to share with us today and where can we find it?

The current Sci-Fi Action Adventure GLORY DOGS: Forged Through Glory will be free Friday, February 28th only at Amazon.com in compliance with the D Storm Novels February Free Fridays event. Mark your calendars and visit the link. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H6TLV88 If you would like, you can copy the twitter message to spread the word amongst your fellow Sci-Fi tweeple.


 

Are you ready for a Sci-Fi adventure filled with erotic moments and heart pounding action? Snuggle up as you traverse the stars with a unique bunch of futuristic humans that collide into mystery, danger and intrigue. DeZré Storm's Sci-Fi Action Adventure GLORY DOGS: Forged Through Glory is packed with exploits and sensuality guaranteed to keep you panting.

Enjoy book one of this epic saga. Don't miss your chance to own GLORY DOGS: Forged Through Glory!

** Series contains adult situations and open sexuality. **

Don’t stay warm…stay HOT.

Available only at Amazon http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H6TLV88


Don't have a Kindle? Download the Kindle App on your phone, tablet or PC HERE.

 

Tweet:

Last chance to download the Sci-Fi Romance #GloryDogs: Forged Through Glory #FREE today. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H6TLV88

Reviews:

5 out of 5 stars Wonderful!!!! February 3, 2014


I got this book because it was free. Am I ever glad I did! I had no idea the ride I was about to take.

Glory Dogs is, I believe, just about the perfect melding of high-tech sci-fi and romance/erotica. The story is deep and involved, the characters equally so. It's nearly 4 am and I just finished it. I was unable to sleep, unable to put it down once I started reading last evening. At 8pm. Yup. I was hooked.

I came for the sex (no pun intended, but on a personal note, you will probably want to check your battery stash, if you know what I mean!), but stayed for the adventure.

Kudos to Ms. Storm for a truly intriguing, well-developed roller-coaster ride of a novel.

And dammit... I hope number two is coming out soon!!! What a way to end the book!!! Resolution... yes, but no. Be forewarned: this is obviously part of a space saga... not all your questions will be answered in the first book. But it will be totally worth it to be on board from the start for this series!

First thing I did upon finishing the book was check to see if there were any more by this author. Wow! I'm an instant fan!

 

4 out of 5 stars Spicy SciFi February 17, 2014


Yeah, this one is quite a spicy tale! Naughty isn't a strong enough word for it, since it's super hot! I really liked this mixing of genres. The sci-fi elements were especially fun, since I'm a geek and have a soft spot for that genre. Then there's the naughty bits. Plenty of heat to get your pulse racing, and plenty of mmmm to keep even the biggest fans of both genres happy!

This is, from what I gather, the start of a series and I am SO delighted to hear that! The story ends in a way that is satisfying but also leaves you wanting just a little bit more..

 

 

I have my first public contemporary coming out this summer, Have Your Cake under author name D.S Roi. Keep track of the progress on any of my sites or follow me on Twitter. @dezrestorm



 

 
 
 
 
One last thing before we let you leave us today.   Do you have a favorite recipe you'd like to share?  I like to cook and am always looking for new recipes to try and share.

My all time favorite recipe is a potato soup copycat of Olive Garden’s Zuppa Tuscana. I LOVE that soup and the rendition of it on http://mapandthemaker.wordpress.com/   blog nearly brings me to tears. I use sage Italian sausage and it’s absolutely spot on.
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment