Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Author, author.... Burn on the Western Slope by Angela Smith




Today we are proud to have a visit from
 Angela Smith!!! 



Hi Angela, so great to have you here with us.  Can you tell us a little about yourself?


I’m a writer, but my full time job is as a paralegal and office manager for a District Attorney’s Office, where I have been for over fifteen years.  I’d like to say that I work so that I can have enough money to write, but my work is just as important part of me as my writing.  I’ve been married going on twenty years to the love of my life and the inspiration for all my romance novels (even though I wanted to write romance even before I met him!).  Most people who know me say I live a double life, because of my writing and my career and how different they both are (and how others perceive me when I’m at work.)


Do real life events find their way into your stories?

In little ways, yes.   Certain character traits, for instance.  But I don’t use my real life to fuel my writing.  I keep the two separate.

Do you ever mimic family members or people you know when you choose characters?

I’ve often thought about it, but my characters are like real people to me (at least in my head) and even if I do try to mimic a family member, the character eventually becomes someone completely different.

Do you find yourself going back to the same inspiration for each story or is it always something different?

Mostly it’s something different, although my main inspiration, the fact I must write or go crazy, prevails.




When do you write?  Early morning? During the day sometime or all day?  After the kids go to bed?

Early in the morning and in the evening.  I used to write at lunch, but found lunch too hard as that one hour dreadfully ends too soon.





How do you feel about marketing your book?

Funny you should ask.  I first started trying to publish about the time ebooks became popular. I wasn’t a good marketer and didn’t particularly enjoy it, and my career was using all my mental energy.  But I’ve learned to enjoy and somewhat crave marketing now. 





What social sites do you feel work best for marketing?

I’m not sure what’s best, but I know what works for me.  A writer should never spread themselves too thin, and sometimes that means picking and choosing.  My top 3 would be Facebook, Twitter, and Goodreads.  





Do you like to pitch stories to your publisher or do you wait until you have written the story and have a final manuscript to turn in?

For now, I write the story and have a final manuscript before I start pitching.  I hope one day I will be able to just pitch a story, and my reputation will be enough that a publisher will know I’m good for it.





Is there any other genre that you would love to try writing?  If so, what is it?

I’ve actually had some ideas for and even started writing some on an inspirational and a young adult.  We’ll see where that leads.  My first love will always be romantic suspense.





Do you always/ever see yourself as the heroine/hero when you write a story?

No.  My characters are completely separate from me.  It’s like they live in another realm and are speaking to me as I write.  Sometimes that realm is murky and I have to work harder to hear them, but they are completely separate.  They most definitely have some of my traits, but I never see myself as them.





Just for fun, I have a few personal questions, 

Favorite 5

1)      Favorite Male Actor  - Liam Neeson

2)      Favorite vehicle – 1972 Dodge Challenger

3)      Favorite way to relax – Reading

4)      Favorite ice cream - chocolate

5)      Favorite outfit – shorts and t-shirt.

And for a bonus:  If you could pick any place in the world to live, besides where you are now, where would it be?  (Of course, without the hindrance of jobs or money needed)

Colorado! I love the mountains.


Where can our readers find you?? 

Amazon author page: amazon.com/author/authorangelasmith


Is there an upcoming or current release you would like to share with us today and where can we find it?

Burn on the Western Slope



Blurb:
Reagan McKinney is on a mission to discover more about a deceased uncle who mysteriously left her a sizable inheritance, a condo in the mountains, and a stash of stolen jewels. With both her graphic design career and her love life in shambles, the opportunity to begin a new life couldn’t have come at a better time. When she becomes involved with the sexy FBI agent next door, she finds her struggle is not only to keep her heart intact, but her life.  Grief stricken after an undercover investigation ends in the death of his partner, FBI Agent Garret Chambers goes home to find solace in the arms of his mountain retreat. That is, until his boss assigns him to investigate the spirited brunette staying in the condo next door. He is assigned to investigate Reagan’s involvement with a large jewel fencing organization, but his investigation becomes compromised when his attraction to her heats up. Will his discovery destroy everything he has come to love, including Reagan?


Buy Links:  Amazon    B&N    iTunes  



One last thing before we let you leave us today, do you have a favorite recipe you'd like to share?  I like to cook and am always looking for new recipes to try and share. 

I love to try new recipes!  I recently started juicing and trying smoothies, and found a smoothie using one of my favorite foods:  avocado:

1 ½ cup orange juice

½ cup Greek yogurt

¼ cup honey

1 avocado

1 banana

Ice


**  **  **  **  **  

Giveaway:
$5 Amazon Gift Card



******


Thanks so much Angela and what an interesting recipe!  I love smoothies so I'll definitely have to try this one.  Also can't wait to read Burn on the Western Slope!   Please stop by again soon and thanks for coming  :)
Until next time, Happy reading !!
Krista

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the interview! Let me know what you think of the smoothie. I know it sounds a bit iffy with using avocado, but it's fantastic!

    ReplyDelete