Monday, September 24, 2012

...read all about it !

Today we have Author Andrew Katz!


Welcome Andrew, can you tell us a little about yourself?
 

I am a twenty year old semi-college student out of the Philadelphia area. Writing only recently became my passion as I started out in September of 2011, but I’ve always been an avid reader. “Descendants” will be my first novel, but I also have a short story out in the anthology “Dark Light” edited by S.J Davis and published by the wonderful Crushing Hearts & Black Butterfly Publishing.


What did you want to be when you were growing up or did you always want to be a writer?


I’ve never really had one of those definite career dreams. Just like every other child I had aspirations to do this and that, but they were only phases and nothing ever really stuck. Unfortunately, that sort of carried on through life and I couldn’t find a real direction. Luckily writing has changed all that. It is my passion, outlet, and favorite hobby, and I couldn’t even dream of doing anything else.

 

When did you first start writing?

I started writing in early September of 2011 sort of on a whim. Lying in bed one night, bored, having just finished the book I had been reading, after hearing me complain of said boredom, a friend suggested I try writing something. I wrote the first page of my novel that night and brought it to my father to look at. He didn’t believe I’d actually written it which I took as a huge positive, and it all spiraled on from there.

 

What is a typical writing day like for you?

It’s really more or less just like every other day. I’m a very streaky writer. I can’t just randomly sit down and start writing, so I keep a small moleskin notepad in my back pocket at all times to jot down ideas. Once those are good and formulated I’ll sit down with my laptop to write and hopefully produce some good work.

 

Do you have a specific routine you follow or specific items you need with you when you write?
Not really. I’m so sporadic and ADD that I just do whatever strikes me when I write. Sometimes I lay down, other times I sit, and I actually have written standing over my kitchen table several times. The only real constant in my writing routine is music. I really can’t focus without it, but even that’s random. My itunes is full of everything from Taylor Swift to System of a Down, so my musical choice depends on how I’m feeling that day.

 

 

What is your favorite part of writing?  Is there anything you don’t like about being a writer?
Definitely dialogue. Partly because it gives me an excuse to talk to my imaginary friends, but mostly because it lets me feel witty and creative. There’s nothing better to me than a nice sarcastic comment, and that carries through to my writing. As for dislikes, I’m not a huge fan of editing. It’s not so much the tedium of it as it is my own compulsiveness and I often find myself re-writing things five or six times before I can accept, or hopefully, like them.

 

What is your favorite length of book to write?  (Short story, novella, full length novel) Why?
There’s no real favorite length for me. I haven’t been writing for very long, but I’ve done a few short stories and am working on a second full length novel. The cool thing is that they just seem to unfold into the length that they’re meant to be. That’s one of the things I love about a good story, it just seems to do the work for you.

 

How does your family feel about your writing and you being an author?

They are WAY more supportive than I’d ever dreamed of, and it’s amazing.

 

Is there a to-be-read waiting on your bedside table?

I’ve actually recently taken to calling my to-be-read pile “the vault” as it had to be moved into an empty wardrobe. I blame my local Barnes & Noble and the buy two get one free sale they’ve been having on classics.

 
For fun, I have a few personal questions, 

Favorite 5

1)  Favorite Holiday: I just googled obscure holidays, and it’s got to be April 26. Hug an Australian day!

2)  Favorite Drink: Probably boring old water.

3)  Favorite Author: I’ll go with Jim Butcher, but it’s a tough call.

4)  Favorite Book: Just finished “The Picture of Dorian Gray” it was incredible.

5)  Favorite Animal: KOALA BEAR!!!!

And for a bonus:  What is a typical mood for you?  And is your mood different when you’re writing?

Usually I’m just pretty relaxed and immature, and writing doesn’t change that very much.

 

Where can our readers find you?? 

Email: andrewkatzauthor@gmail.com
Facebook: Facebook.com/AndrewKatz.Author

 

Is there an upcoming or current release you would like to share with us today and where can we find it?

Check out my first full length novel, “Descendants”, as well as the awesome #1 best selling anthology “Dark Light” featuring a short story about Godric Patronar (the same protagonist as “Descendants)

 

Excerpt:
       I was kneeling before the throne, being reprimanded… again. The King was going on and on about the importance of responsibility in our darkening world and how it was the job of those with power to maintain the peace.
       “Not to potentially wipe out an entire race.”


       “Look you weren’t there; you have less than no idea just how badly they deserved it.”

       I had just come back from possibly – key word, possibly – killing the last of the gnomes of North America.

       “You acted irresponsibly and foolishly. I can honestly say I expected better from you,” said the King in that stupid I know better than you tone of his.



       “All right, Dad.” I put as much ice into my voice as I could manage while speaking to my father (don’t worry we’ll get to that). “When you go to investigate a kidnapping and find     twelve gnomes sacrificing an eleven-year-old girl trying to grant their females renewed fertility; with three similar corpses in the room, you can come lecture me.”


       “Did you at least save the girl?” he asked me sardonically.
      
“Of course I saved the freaking girl. What kind of Knight would I be if I couldn’t save one measly damsel in distress?”
      


Andrew, thanks so much for taking the time to visit with us today. Congrats to you and your new release Descende

Readers, make sure you get this great new book !!

Until next time, happy reading!

Krista


 

No comments:

Post a Comment