Thursday, April 19, 2012

Author, Author

...read all about it!!


Thanks for joining us and please welcome a wonderful author and a great new friend,


                Taryn Raye


Hi Taryn,  so great to have you here.  Can you tell us a little about yourself?

I’m a Jane-of-all-trades really- a writer, a stay at home mom and wife. I play referee, chef, and gardener and peacekeeper. It’s always something.

Wow that sounds alot like my house.  Sometimes i think my chaotic household is even sometimes an inspiration.  What or who initially inspired you to become a writer?

Books have been a part of my life as long as I can remember. One of my grandmothers was a librarian at a college, both my parents liked to read, one of my aunts wanted to write. It just seemed a natural thing that my love of reading, nurtured by those around me, inspired me to be a writer- that and the fact that though I love other authors’ books, I knew I had characters vying to get out of me as well and I knew I had to write their stories.

Well I'm sure glad you made writing happen for you.  What kind of research do you do for a novel and how extensive do you get?

For my historical Castaway Hearts I did a lot of research into the history of Virginia between the mid-1700’s to the mid-1800’s. I thought writing a historical took a lot of research, but I’ve also found myself researching for back-story and details for my contemporary romances as well. Rodeo riding and ranching, Hollywood/Grauman’s/The Walk of Fame, physical therapy methods, weather in certain parts of the country as well as maps of certain areas. In my most recent WIP, I needed information about rooftop gardens, organic vegetables and things to improve the environment. For my next one, I’ll be studying about the life of surfers, the ocean, how surf competitions play out and the dangers involved.

That research sounds like alot of fun too, not just informative.  Do you have a special place you like to do your writing? Such as an office, a spare room, the dining room table, your couch?
I have my laptop set up in my bedroom now. I used to use our desktop computer in the living room and I worked amid the noise and chaos of a family of four. Sometimes that worked for me, but the majority of the time, it made writing difficult. Now I’m a little more secluded and enjoy the quiet where I can do my writing alone and step away to spend time with my family when I want to. Sometimes it’s necessary to separate work from play to stay partially sane. ;)

I'm absolutely jealous of your secluded writing area.  I'm still stuck in the dining room amid all my household chaos.  As a reader, what types of works do you like to read and do you think they influence the genre/genres you write in?

I love reading romance as much as I love writing it, but most of the books I tend to read are typically urban fantasy, paranormal or epic like Yasmine Galenorn or Tanith Lee. I also enjoy classics like D.H. Lawrence and Jane Austen. I think some of what I read does influence my writing, but more in the sense that it’s very real and descriptive writing, which I love.


What is your favorite method of writing...as in laptop, desktop, Ipad or the old fashioned pencil and paper?? And do you plot out your story or go with the flow of your muse?

Usually on the computer- thoughts and story generally seem to flow better from fingertips to keys, but I do occasionally use pen and paper, when the words aren’t flowing, as they should. I’m a pantser, so most of the time, I simply having a bare-bones idea of what I’m writing, who my characters are and where their story is headed- I generally let them lead the way.

Your method of writing sounds much like mine.  I like to just let the story flow once i start.  When you need a break or some time off from the trials of being a writer, what can you be found doing?

Some of my hobbies or things I do when I’m not writing would be- listening to music, watching movies, singing (poorly) on the karaoke, cooking, amateur photography with my lil’ old Kodak Easyshare, piddling around and playing games on Facebook (love Words with Friends, Scrabble, Zuma Blitz and Bejeweled.) I also love spending time with my family whether it is my husband & the kids or visiting family and friends in my hometown, I like to make sure I stay connected.

Is there anything about yourself nobody knows that you would like to share with our readers??

I love snail mail and keeping in touch with my grandmother that way because she doesn’t have an email or internet these days. I miss the days of handwritten letters- there’s something much more personal and intimate about it.

I'm totally in agreement on the snail mail.  I love going out to the mail box, excited that there might be something fun in there.  That is, as long as it's not bills.  Where can our readers find you, besides snail mail??

Blog- http://tarynraye.blogspot.com/
Facebook Author Page: http://www.facebook.com/TarynRayeRomanceWriter
About.Me- http://about.me/TarynRaye
@ScribblingTaryn on Twitter
Romance Novel Center- http://www.romancenovelcenter.com/authortarynraye

Is there an upcoming or current release you would like to share with us today and where can we find it?

Castaway Hearts is now available from Turquoise Morning Press-

Twice orphaned, Catherine Barrett arrives in Virginia a stranger to her closest kin and secretly engaged to the one man her family would disapprove of- her seafaring grandfather’s apprentice. Add to her troubles, the rich and intriguing older brother of her secret betrothed, Dawson Randolph, a plantation owner who is as heartless as he is handsome. Heartbroken when her intended sets sail for his maiden voyage, Catherine finds it difficult to adjust to her new life, hoping to befriend the one man who is, undoubtedly, the match her grandparents wish for her. Dawson’s distaste for her secret engagement to his brother makes it clear he has no designs for marriage to anyone. Especially her.

Ten years since the tragic loss of his young wife and infant son, Dawson Randolph is convinced love and marriage is a fool’s game and resents being pardon to his brother’s hidden engagement. Damned by his instant attraction and his own growing desire, Dawson vows to befriend her against his better judgment. Determined to bring her happiness in a time of fear and uncertainty, Dawson puts aside his animosity to become her confidant, only to realize Catherine holds the key to his heart. When tragedy strikes at sea, Catherine’s guilt pushes Dawson to the fringes of her life as madness consumes her.

Can his love save her before she drowns in her own grief? Or is he doomed to love her from a distance, always in the shadow of her love for his dead brother?


Amazon- http://www.amazon.com/Castaway-Hearts-ebook/dp/B007QGZDJY/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1333304648&sr=1-1

Smashwords- https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/147100


All Romance eBooks- http://www.allromanceebooks.com/product-castawayhearts-770205-158.html


Before we let you go today Taryn, is there a favorite recipe you'd like to share? I like to cook and am always looking for new recipes to try and share :)

Taryn’s Meatballs

1 package saltines, finely crushed
1/2-3/4 cup parmesan cheese
Garlic Powder
Italian Seasoning
Garlic Pepper                                                                         

1 lb lean ground beef
1 egg
½ of a finely diced sweet onion
1/2-1 cup, approximately, spaghetti sauce 

Directions- Preheat oven to 350º

1.)                Crush saltines in Ziploc bag until fine. Add parmesan cheese, a few dashes of garlic powder, Italian Seasoning and Garlic Pepper. (I measure this by eye- as to what I think looks about right.) Seal bag again and shake until mixed thoroughly.

2.)                In large bowl, mix hamburger, egg, diced onion and spaghetti sauce by hand until well combined. Mix in cracker mixture, until it holds together firmly as if you were making a meatloaf.

3.)                Spray foil lined large cookie sheet with cooking spray. Shape into balls (about the size of a golf ball or a little larger) and place on cookie sheet. Bake in oven for 15 minutes at 350º. Remove from oven and turn over then bake for another 15 minutes until golden brown.

4.)                Place in large covered pan with spaghetti sauce (I used 2 jars to cover all meatballs) to simmer on low until all is hot and can be served over spaghetti.

 That spaghetti with meatballs looks delicious.  Thank you so much for sharing your recipe, your new release and for being with us today.  It was great to learn more about you :)  Please come back and visit us anytime, we'd love to have you !

Readers, don't forget to get your copy of Castaway Hearts now at the following locations.


Amazon- http://www.amazon.com/Castaway-Hearts-ebook/dp/B007QGZDJY/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1333304648&sr=1-1

Smashwords- https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/147100


All Romance eBooks- http://www.allromanceebooks.com/product-castawayhearts-770205-158.html


Have a great day and happy reading !!

Krista





No comments:

Post a Comment